Our second assignment was to create a social networking site from scratch. While I didn't really like the idea of creating another Facebook, this project introduced me to a lot of key concepts that have really helped me understand how to create a functioning website. This project was difficult because there were a lot of new ideas, specifically databases and how data should be organized that tripped me up. We were also asked to do a real design for our site, which I had never previously thought about. My first design was tragic. It looked like an mid-90’s website with awkward buttons, poor colour choice and grainy over stretched photos.
We spent a couple months on this project and during this time I toned my CSS skills, got more confident with how elements in Polymer works and thought about how to design an interface for the user. During this project I was also introduced to databases and I spent a good portion of this project thinking about how data interacts, and how it should be saved and retrieved. I spend a lot of time working thinking about database schemas and tables. I also started looking into different ways to authenticate users into my network and began researching oauth and passport.